Is Scribie Legit? A Review
Last Updated on
Thanks for joining me today for this review of Scribie. I will be taking an indepth look at this platform and finding out if it is legit, and if so, if it is really worth your time.
What is Scribie?
What is transcription?
Just in case you are not quite sure what this is I will just give you a short overview.
Transcription, or data entry as it is sometimes called, is a term used for turning oral or spoken into written form. As a transcriptionist your job would be to listen to things like phone call audios, podcasts or video recordings, and then type them out as a written transcription.
You may be thinking that there must be some kind of qualification or special skills that are needed to do this work.
You would be right in thinking that, to a certain extent. Some types of transcription are quite specialised and aren’t suitable for home work, however some are.
Data entry is something you can do from home as it requires little skill, which makes it suitable. That’s not to say that you don’t have to have a certain aptitude for this kind of work, it certainly doesn’t suit everybody.
You will need to be quite fast at typing and have good English comprehension spoken in a variety of accents.
What Equipment Will I Need As A Transcriptionist?
- Internet Connection
- A Decent Pair Of Headphones
- Adobe Flash
- Download of Free Transcription Software
How Does It Work At Scribie?
- Initially you will be asked to take an application test, and you need to be able to pass it to join. Don’t worry too much if you don’t pass first time because you are allowed 10 attempts.
- Once you have passed the test you can log in and select the jobs you want. Once you have chosen, you then have 2 hours to submit.
- You are paid $10 per audio hour. That works out at $1 for each 6 min audio. Don’t forget, those rates aren’t the amount you will be paid per hour, they are the length of the audios. When you first start out it may for example take you up to half and hour to do the work needed for a 6 min audio. Obviously you will get quicker as you gain more experience.
- There is a $10 bonus paid monthly when you have submitted 3 hours audio.
- Payment is via PayPal only, so obviously you will need to open an account if you want to join Scribie
- There is also a referral program that enables you to earn 5% referral commission on the direct earnings of all the transcribers you refer through your affiliate link, there is no limit as to what you can earn through this program.
- Once you have just $1 in your account you can withdraw via your PayPal account, however you will be charged 2% for any withdrawals below $30.
Here is a promotional video by Scribie advertising its services to potential clients.
Promotion At Scribie
When you start out at Scribie you are just carrying out the role of transcriptionist, and someone else reviews your work and gives you a grade.
After you have completed 10 transcripts, and if you have achieved a high enough standard, you will be able to be a transcriptionist and the reviewer too.
- This is very flexible work that you can undertake whenever you have free time.
- Some people may not be suited to this kind of work, some may find it quite challenging especially when listening to audio with broad accents.
- You won’t earn very much, unless you are exceptionally good at this. Even if you are it’s not likely to pay you a full time wage. You are a contractor at Scribie, not their employee so you don’t get a guarantee of earning minimum wage.
My verdict is that Scribie is legit
Scribie is legit as there is evidence online that proved it pays you for the services that it asks you to carry out. It is however a low paying opportunity.
The income you are likely to get from doing this will probably help you to save up for something. I wouldn’t rely on this income or give up a full time job if you have one. It is flexible however and can be easily fitted into your daily routine.
I hope you enjoyed reading my review of Scribie. Do you have any experience of working with Scribie that you want to share? If so please leave a comment below.