What Is Udemy? Review
Nowadays, it is nearly impossible to secure employment without possessing essential skills and/or qualifications.
Even starting and running a business venture requires astute management skills.
Those seeking employment are always looking for ways to improve on their skills and knowledge.
Unfortunately, the cost of tuition, especially in universities and colleges, has been rising steadily, and therefore putting a barrier between talented students and possible future employment.
Get Started In Affiliate Marketing With THIS FREE COURSE
Fortunately the emergence of online courses in recent years has made it possible for many individuals to acquire new skills and expand on their knowledge.
One online platform that has made a name for itself is Udemy.
So what is Udemy?
Udemy is an online learning center that offers various courses to the public.
Any Instructor can create a course and offer it to registered users.
Currently, Udemy has over 40,000 courses instructed by more than 20,000 professionals.
As if that is not enough, enrollment is open to anyone.
Whether you want to improve your job related skills, or need to share your skills and knowledge with the public, then Udemy could be the right platform for you.
How it Works at Udemy
Udemy works in two perspectives, one for learners and the other for instructors.
The platform is popular amongst college students, working professionals, and corporate employees.
It provides an opportunity for registered users to learn new skills and improve their job – related expertise.
From business studies, languages to technical skills, you can learn virtually anything on Udemy.
Although most courses seek to improve individuals’ expertise, some generate credit towards certification. A good example of an online course on Udemy that provides a recognizable certification is the Jack Welch M B A program.
Instructors on Udemy are professionals who have vast experience in various skills.
Find out more about Udemy in their promotional video below;
To become an instructor, you have to be competent in a particular skill or topic.
However, it is not compulsory for instructors to be trained teachers. As long as you can articulate your ideas and transfer knowledge to Udemy users, then you are good to go.
It’s possible to make a substantial amount of money on Udemy as an instructor.
However, the amount of money you can accrue depends on your marketing skills. With over 20,000 passionate instructors available on the platform, it is only logical that you utilize various marketing strategies to attract students.
Instructor compensation is quite complex to understand at first, but becomes easier as you get to grips with how things work.
You get to keep 97 % of the earnings if a student picks your course through your own marketing efforts.
However, you will only earn 50 % of the revenue if you get a student through Udemy’ s marketing, and if you get a student through an affiliate, then you retain just 25 % of the earnings.
Free courses do exist on Udemy. However, this depends on the instructor.
The majority of instructors charge fees ranging from US $20 to US $200.
Getting Started on Udemy
Getting started on Udemy as an instructor is quite easy. Just visit the Udemy website and select “become an instructor” to open your account.
You will be requested to create a course, and thereafter, you need to enter your personal details to sign up.
Your course has to meet specific requirements for approval.
Firstly, it has to have a minimum of five separate lectures and 30 minutes of video content.
The content should be valuable to the student, clearly outlining what your students stand to gain. You also need to indicate course goals, highlighting course prerequisites and the target students that you seek.
Pricing your course can be tricky, especially if you do not follow recommended guidelines.
However, Udemy provides pricing recommendations, making it easier for instructors to offer the right fees.
Additionally, Udemy handles hosting fees, payment processing, and all customer service, allowing instructors to concentrate on providing quality sessions to students.
The Pros and Cons of Udemy
There is no doubt that Udemy is a transformational training and learning platform.
However, just like other online platform, it has its downsides too. The following are the pros and cons of being an Udemy instructor
• Convenience – Nothing beats the convenience that Udemy provides. By using this platform, you can offer as many courses as you want, whenever you want. Signing up on Udemy is just a matter of minutes and you can do it without leaving the comfort of your home or office.
• High Compensations- provides attractive compensations to instructors. You can retain up to 97 % of the earnings, depending on your marketing strategy.
• Free Marketing – Udemy offers free marketing for registered instructors. Importantly, the platform has more than 6 million registered users making it a ready market for budding instructors.
• Instructors Group – As a new instructor, Udemy will link you to its Instructor’ s Group where you can gain helpful information on how Udemy works, and how to make a living working on Udemy
• Sense of Empowerment – Teaching on Udemy gives you a great sense of empowerment. There is no greater joy than knowing that you have transformed someone’ s life through your online courses.
• Poor Messaging – A number of instructors have raised complaints concerning Udemy’ s messaging system. In essence, the messaging system is a big fail and needs improvement. Communication is one – way, and you may get lost trying to reach the right person.
• Pricing – The fact that you Udemy can retain up to 50 % of your earnings can be discouraging at times. However, this should not be a major issue if you market your courses on your own.
There is no question, it is possible to make a living working on Udemy.
In fact, the courses that you offer do not have to necessarily be technical to attract good earnings.
You can teach virtually anything on this platform, and still earn a substantial amount.
Some of the most successful members are earning impressive sums of money, but of course that doesn’t mean that everyone is.
Your success depends on whether you can create demand for your courses and/or how you enforce an effective marketing strategy.
Udemy is a completely legit and recommended way to make money online, if creating training courses is what you want to do.
If you would prefer to make money online by creating a website rather than training courses, you should consider affiliate marketing instead. It is my number one recommended way to earn money online. You can get started today with a FREE 10 Part Training Course
Do you have experience with Udemy? Either as an instructor or as a buyer of the courses? Let me know in the comments below what you thought of this platform.